Monday 6 August 2012

You've Got Real Style

Hi Bloggers.

I'm going to take a little break from sharing Spellbinders Pick of the Week samples with you because on Wednesday I'm on Create & Craft with some stamping shows. The theme is Cars as you can see below. I've used some of the dies from the recent Pick of the Week on some of the samples I've made just to show you how these stamps work with the dies that many of you have purchased.

Anyways, here's the card -


There's a couple of great techniques that I've learned from Sue Wilson on this one. The first one is on the background. I think Sue calls it the Faux Leather Technique. I cut a square of card (can be any card, any colour). I tore some pieces of masking tape and covered the card with them, making sure they overlapped. Once the whole area was covered, I folded the excess over to the back of the card. I then took a Pumice Stone Distress Ink Pad and rubbed it over the surface. There were some areas that the ink didn't reach - that's fine. I sprinkled some Cosmic Shimmer Clear Embossing Powder over the top and heat set.

I stamped the image from the Creative Expressions Dream Cars Stamp Set using Jet Black Archival and embossed with clear powder. I coloured the image in using Cosmic Shimmer Matt Drawing Inks - I used Scarlet Flame from the Autumn Shades Set and Black Night from the Summer Fayre Set. Next I cut the image out using Spellbinders Scalloped Labels One and the Out of the Box technique that Sue has shown on TV. To do this you place the die over the image and draw around it, missing out the bit where the car overhangs. You then cut around the part of the image that is outside the die plus a bit further in. You need to be able to slot the die over the drawn lines but with the overlapping bit in the front of the die away from the cutting edge. You then pop it through your Grand Calibur and cut and emboss as usual. If you've not tried this before, I suggest you try it with an un-coloured image just in case you get it wrong! Don't worry if you don't understand all that - I've taken step by step pics of another card with this technique which I'll share very soon.


I inked while still in the die with Pumice Stone Distress Ink. The number plate is blank so you add your own message.

I stamped the sentiment from the same stamp set using Jet Black Archival and embossed with clear powder. I cut it out using Spellbinders Ribbon Banners and inked through the die with Pumice Stone.


I wrapped some Black & White Baker's Twine around the card as shown. I added an Idea-ology Plaquette (will be on the show). I really like these as they are random numbers so can be used for any occasion.


I finished the card off with some dots of Cosmic Shimmer Pearlescent PVA in Silver Lustre.

Thanks for stopping by.

Julia.

21 comments:

  1. Hi Julia, great card for the man in your family. Love the mini and will tuned in to your demos on Wednesday for inspiration.

    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, another card with loads of ideas and inspiration.like the masking tape idea. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Julia, I love how you have done this card, it is gorgeous. I love the faux leather effect, I saw this technique on Sue's DVD, I can't get my head around how you have cut around the car with the labels die, without cutting off that part of the car !!! I would love further instructions ha ha. Beautiful card, Julia. I'll be watching your demo's on Wednesday. Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Julia - great card for a guy and love the colour of the faux leather background - pumice stone is now on my list

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Julia,
    Great design for your card love the mini stamp. Must try this technique with out of the die.
    Have a good day.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Julia xgreat card I will have ago at this one was I always Struggle with mens cards So keep them coming. Take Care

    Debs Artliff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card Julia really like the techniques you have used and can't wait til wednesday to watch your shows xx hazel

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is one stunning card thanks for the tips .melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning Julia, great to see some different techniques like the 'faux leather'. Get stamp set and even better that the number plate is blank. Look forward to seeing your demos on C+C then.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julia,
    Great card. Love the faux leather background, must give if a go.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some interesting ideas and tips, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julia - this technique looks great - another one I need to have a go at! It really adds texture. Very nice card.

    Hugs Sue P xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great background Julia. Have a few teenage/early 20's boys in my family at the moment so will definitely be giving it a try. Thanks for your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi julia love the background not sure I would do it that colour maybe more of a grey but that could just be because I'm looking at this on my phone!!!lol wil definitely be ordering the stamps on wed as I missed them the 1st time love lesley xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the card and the background is great. Never seent this done before but will give it a go

    xx Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julia, Great card tried out of the box technique when Sue first showed it
    must do it again you tend to forget things you tried before glad of the reminder.
    Nancyd xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That texhnique of the background is stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Julia, had a go at the faux background ages ago and have a piece still in my stash but don't think it is big enough to accommodate a car but its a great technique and thanks for reminding me of it. I too need to get my head around the 'out of the box' technique so will await your much appreciated tutorial. Great male card love the colours you have used. Christine H xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Julia, I took one looke at the stamps on your other blog and thought 'those are not for me' however now seeing what you've just done with this card I think I could be made to change my mind. Thanks for all your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have one blog so not sure where you mean?

      Delete

Only positive comments please!