Sunday 28 May 2017

Butterfly Stained Glass Window plus a few extra bits

Hi Bloggers.

Here's today's card -

I started by cutting the Sue Wilsons's Butterfly Stained Glass Window out of Black Card. I used Quickie Glue to add the die cut to a piece of Acetate. I cut the die out again, added Quickie Glue to the front of the die cut and glued it to the other side of the Acetate in line with the die cut on the front. I find it easier to do this so that I can colour in all the areas at once without having to wait for them to dry. It also reduces contamination of colours.
I coloured in on the back - I popped a little CS Clear Lacquer Varnish onto my Craft Sheet and added CS Pixie Powders. I used Scarlet Mist, Mango Blaze, Purple Violet and Emerald (to separate blobs of Lacquer Varnish). I mixed well using a Paint Brush and painted onto the Acetate. I find it's better to dab the colour on rather than brush on - the colour is more intense that way.

Once dry, I added Quickie Glue to the cental area. Once the glue was clear,I added CS Golden Sand Polished Silk Glitter.

I matted onto Coconut White Card, then Black Card and then popped onto a Coconut White Card Blank.

Over on my Facebook Page, I have set up an album with some experimenting I did with the lacquer and stains, pixies, glitter and alcohol inks. I realise that not all of you have facebook so here are the details -

Blue - CS Laquer Varnish with Alcohol Inks - surprised that this doesn't really work, alcohol ink colour seems to split in the varnish.
Red above blue - CS Lacquer Varnish & CS Rich Crimson Intense Pigment Stain - FAB!
Top (under pokey tool) - CS Lacquer Varnish, CS Rich Crimson Intense Pigment Stain & CS Sahara Gold Polished SIlk Glitter - I was surprised that this worked as when I have mixed PS Glitter in with Sparkle texture paste all it did was colour the paste as the glitter is so fine but here it works! Happy with that!


Corner under pokey tool - CS Clear Varnish Lacquer, CS Rich Crimson Intense Pigment Stain & CS Iced Crystals Glitter Jewels - bit gloopy and hard to get even coverage. Would probably be ok with Diamond Snow, Diamond Sprinkles and possibily Glacier Ice.

Bottom Square - CS Clear Varnish Lacquer, CS Rich Crimson Intense Pigment Stain & CS Frosty Dawn Diamond Frost - Lovely!
Area under Pokey Tool - CS Clear Varnish Lacquer, CS Scarlet Mist Pixie Powder and CS Frosty Dawn Diamond Frost - as above but a bit more opaque.


   CS Clear Varnish Lacquer, CS Scarlet Mist Pixie Powder and CS Sahara Gold Polished Silk Glitter.

Left overs from some of the experiments used on the flower and butterfly. Leaves are Hunter Green Polished Silk Glitter applied with Quickie Glue. Other flower was Light Purple Quickie glue applied too early on air so it's patchy. I used some extra experiment leftovers on the back of it - not really recommended!

Just a quick play - hopefully it's useful to you. I wanted to share as I was wrong about using the lacquer with Alcohol Inks and Polished Silk Glitter and wanted to make amends for what I said on air.

Update - 10.15am Sunday 28th May. A couple more experiments :

 You can use Alcohol inks directly from the bottle but be careful that the dropper doesn't flow too quickly and flood the area. Here I used Valencia Adirondack Alcohol Ink. I then used Limeade in the area next to it and if flowed quite fast and contaminated the areas nearby. Test your ink first - if it's flowing too quickly, perhaps use a pipette.

Here I used Valencia Alcohol ink in the bottom rectangle and Amethyst just above. I have a blob in the Amethyst one so I really need to apply so more ink there.

 Alcohol Markers work a treat. Here, I've used a Graphmaster Alcohol Marker.

Phill Martin is launching a new One Day Special on Hochanda this evening at 8pm with some more Sue Wilson dies from the April Release! I'm offering 10% discount on items I have in stock from the shows. You can find them here. Offer applies till midnight tomorrow night or while stocks last. Discount will be applied automatically at checkout.
Thanks for stopping by.

Julia.
www.juliawattscrafts.co.uk
Free card with all website orders over £10 (ask for one in the comments box at checkout).
Deal of the Day today (28th May) - D
esigns by John Lockwood - Autumn's Child Clear Stamp Set only £6.99!

27 comments:

  1. Morning julia thank you so much for these examples- so, so useful. My liquid glaze pack arrived yesterday so I will have a play over the next few days xx

    Stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs June Smith xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia
    A beautiful card, and great experimentation. I've now caught up with all your stained glass Hochanda shows which were excellent. I loved how the diamond frost danced in the lacquer varnish and your excitement at a new discovery.
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julia, that is so useful. Saves a lot of time and mess for us and a great reference to keep.
    I love the card as well and have liked every one of the stained glass cards you have made. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Julia.. A WOW card this morning. I love how you have created the card and thank you for sharing all the details and more . I think I will have to get some Laquer Varnish ......Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Julia x xhazel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Julia, loved all your shows with the stained glass collection and all the techniques. Looking forward to having a play next week now I have the clear lacquer.
    Marion S x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Julia this is a gorgeous card I love. Thank you for sharing the technique I must try this but probably after the wedding which is now less than two months away. Have a great day. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia,
    Stunning, I love the stained glass dies and the look you have achieved here is so vibrant. Thanks for all the information about different techniques and for sharing,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. STUNNING! And thank you for the tips and techniques I have the technology So I'm going to have a "play" with one of my dies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow-stunning card, really gorgeous stained glass effect.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Julia, some great R & D there, thanks for tips of what does and does not work. Love the card you have posted today, beautiful colours. Hopefully will get time to play with my dies today and see what I can come up with. have a great Sunday everyone. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for all the hints and tips, Julia. Will have to have a play now. I don't have any of the stained glass windows dies so will have to find something else to use. A lovely card, by the way.

    Anne (Northampton)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The coluurs are so rich and vibriant on this card it is lovley.
    Thanks for all the tipsand techniques I was going to try the alcohol inks as i dont have the intense staines, but I won't now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A stunning card Julia I think these dies will be so popular thank you
    Love June horrocks xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julia

    I love the stained glass dies. Yours, today, is gorgeous

    June x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julia
    great card, hints and tips.
    Have a lovely Sunday.
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Julia.

    Beautiful Card. I love these dies and your colouring. Thank you so much for showing your experiments (they are so useful) and sharing.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good Morning Julia, wow that is truly something else I love these new dies and the gorgeous colours youve chosen. hugs Shirleyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card. Gorgeous colours.

    Thanks for all the tips. All written down in my 'Tip' book. Will certainly try the alcohol marker technique. Wonder whether a quicky gluepen added behind alcohol marker would work? Diamond frost could then be added?

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Julia, I love your compilation of this card, it looks fabulous !!
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a lovely die and you produce brilliant results.
    Jan
    Northampton

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Julia. Lovely card with some super tips for us all. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the one stained glass die I must get as I love butterflies....a superb card Julia..thank you...luv Ursula xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Julia this is amazing and so stunning.
    Those colours are perfect and gorgeous and thank you so much for the step by step guide of the colours and technique.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Julia Beautiful card I love all the different techniques you used for the stained glass window dies thank you for sharing them on your blog I'm not on face book so appreciate this reminder of them

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Julia,
    A beautiful card and some lovely techniques and ideas - especially the " what not to do". Many thanks
    Love Myra xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Julia,

    Beautiful card,great techniques, good tips.
    Thanks
    Carmen (Canada)

    ReplyDelete

Only positive comments please!