Saturday 28 July 2012

Wish

Hi Bloggers.

Another favourite card today from the Spellbinders Pick of the Week (I know I keep saying that - we'll come to the ones I don't like soon enough!). When I started this card I knew I wanted to include a glittered mask on top of a couple of the Venetian Motifs and that was it. Then I saw this post on Sue Wilson's Blog. I had forgotten all about the background technique Sue had taught me a couple of years ago - it was just what I wanted for this card.


To make the background you can either read about it on Sue's blog, watch her demo it on her DVD (if you're lucky enough to own it) or read my explanation here. You need a piece of acetate bigger than the size you want to end up with. Squiggle some Clear Crystal Lacquer over it. Then drop some Alcohol inks randomly all over. I used Pool, Stonewashed and Pitch Black. Then sprinkle some mica powder over - be generous - but you don't need to cover the whole area! I used Silver Lustre from the Metallics Set. Scrunch up a piece of white tissue paper (larger than the size of the acetate), open it out and pop in on top of the now coloured acetate. You can add more alcohol ink now if you wish if you have some gaps. Now leave it to dry for a couple of hours.

I cut a Venetian Motif out of white card and another out of black card - it's easier to use a piece of greaseproof paper between the die and the paper with this one. I put a piece of double-sided adhesive onto a piece of black card and cut out the mask from the Venetian Accents die set. I peeled off the backing sheet and dipped the mask into some Cosmic Shimmer Aurora Crystal Glitter.


I only wanted a small sentiment so I masked off the words 'make' and 'a' from the sentiment on the Creative Expressions Dandelion Wishes Stamp Set, stamped using Cobalt Archival and embossed with Cosmic Shimmer Clear Embossing Powder. I cut it out using the tag die in the Venetian Accents die set. I cut another tag out of black card. I cut it in half and then glued it to the back of the sentiment tag to create a shadow.


I assembled the card as shown adding some dots of Cosmic Shimmer Pearlescent PVA in Black Pearl around the edges.

Hope you try this one at home.

Thanks for stopping by.

Julia.

26 comments:

  1. I love this, a different technique. I would choose a different colour not being a "teal" person! Love the venetian dies a "must" I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi julia,
    love this card,this is nos 3 that i am going to try out from your blog.i need to get a wriggle on ,i need to make a wedding card and 2 birthday cards work keeps getting the way of my crafting but i suppose it helps so i can get all the dies i need !!.
    best wishes
    norma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia, I love this card and the colours. I have never tried this type of background yet, and think it is about time that I do. Have already started using my Venetian dies and love them. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia, WOW what've a card, so dramatic. Don't have the confidence to try the background but will find. Some paper to substitute I hope.

    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - Stunning background - must give this a try - great card - Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why this is one of your favourites. The background technique is great and compliments the feel of this card. Love the colours too. I have the dies so will give this one a go. Thanks for sharing it with us. Beverley x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Georgeous card! I do have Sue's DVD but have yet to try this technique...I got the Venetian set fromC&C when you were on and it arrived two days ago, not had a chance to 'play' yet and we have visitors for the weekend, so no sneaking off to the craft room! Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia, what a stunning card...love the colours, tutorial and layout..:)..Enjoy your day..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning Julia, A STUNNING card today. I absolutely love it, love it, love it. The background is stunning and really complements the Venetian Mask, I will definitely be giving this technique a try. Love the faux pearl effect round the outside, I haven't plucked up courage to try this yet !!!! I want to give this card a try but I have to make a birthday card for my Grand-daughter who is 15 on Monday, not an easy age to make for ha ha !! so will have to wait to play ha ha !! Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is a great technique for backgrounds and the colour palette you have used is very much to my taste. best wishes Jackie D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous card Julia

    I wasnt that keen on the mask in the Venetian set but I love how you have used it, thanks for the inspiration

    Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning Julia,
    Very dramatic card today love it, this looks a fun technique to try.
    Have a good weekend.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful Julia, the mask is one of my favourite dies. Love the strong colours as well

    xx Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning Julia love idea for the backgroud i will be trying to do that. The card is stunning love the colours Ive made 3 cards with the mask on one was on my mums card and she is 76 and she must a
    have shown everyone the card with the mask. Take Care Julie

    Debs Artliff

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Julia - I had seen Sue demo this background technique, but had forgotten how to use it. It's absolutely brilliant and I'm very glad that you've told us the technique again. Won't forget now 'cos I've written it down.
    Stunning card.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Morning Julia
    I love this card, not over fussing but a WOW effect with the background giving the feeling of material on a ball gown! Its nice to keep the mask as the main focal point. I love it!!
    Sadly its back to rain in Cornwall today so think i will be crafting.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julia, a beautifyl card, full of drama. Colour way stunning. The background technique sounds fascinating, is the crystal clear lacquer sold in craft/art shops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,
      You can get it on C&C web site under 3d Lacquer. I bought a few bottles and the stuff is excellent.
      BUT if you are willing to experiment go to youtube and look up Sheena Douglass page and check out her 'poor man' technique for the crystal effect.
      Most craft shops have it. Just ask for diamond or crystal lacquer. I've played with most of them and they all work really well.

      Delete
  18. Hi julia I love the venetian sets and really must get them!! They work well with this card I just feel that the background is a touch dark for me but it could be the photo!! Love lesley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Morning Julia, this die set really is a must for me. I adore the mask tried to get it on c&c but sold out before I got the chance. The card is simply stunning

    ReplyDelete
  20. Julia, I am blown away by this card!! Don't you just love the caught in crystal technique.?? It makes a beautiful background for any card and I love playing with different colour combinations.
    This card is stunning, really mysterious and dare I say sensual??
    I think that this is the most amazing card I have EVER seen!!! (I follow a lot of blogs)Got to go I'm off to my cave to go play again LOL!
    Waterford

    ReplyDelete
  21. I certainly agree Julia - this is one my favourites as well. Simply beautiful. I love the background and it makes the card stand out. Gorgeous colours and design.

    Hugs Sue P xx

    PS I also liked the ones on the shows that you didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh is this the fifty shades of Julia coming out lol! What a dramatic card, Julia it is just stunning. That mask is so mysterious I love it, just have to get the dies. Didn't win the Euro lottery so will have to keep saving lol! Have a lovely day, Christine H xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful card Julia love these dies. Like the colour scheme used here too xx hazel

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Julia,
    A stunning card love the background technique and the mask
    with the micro beads will definately be trying this one.
    Nancyd xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stunning card will have to try this one sometime .Melanie

    ReplyDelete

Only positive comments please!