Friday 28 October 2011

Christmas Fun with the Vintage Inventor

Hi Bloggers.

Here it is again - my favourite stamp set. A while ago I made a Christmas card with Mr. Inventor and he had a sprig of holly on his hat. At the time I mentioned that you could perhaps replace his top hat for a Santa hat. Well, I finally got round to making such a card and here it is.


I'm entering this card into the following challenges -
Friday Sketch Challenge
Simon Says Stamp Challenge - Anything Goes

I inked up some white card with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink using Cut & Dry Foam and stamped Mr. Inventor with Jet Black Archival. I cut him out leaving a small gap all the way round. I then cut off his hat and a bit of his hair. I stamped Wild Rose Studio Mia in the Snow with Black Memento Ink and coloured just the main part of the hat with Promarkers. I cut out the hat, added a layer of Cosmic Shimmer Dies Clear glue to the furry bits and then added Polar White Flower Soft. It was then set aside to dry.

Next I made the really cool background paper which I used on the squares. The technique is called faux batik and it's on Sue Wilson's DVD. I used a piece of white card and using Perfect Medium I stamped the snowflake (from Creative Expressions Christmas Swirl set) and the pressure guage (from Creative Expressions Vintage Illusion stamp set). I embossed the images with clear embossing powder. Then I folded the card in lots of ways to make lots of creases. I spritzed the card with water and then brayered on some Adirondack Stream and Adirondack Sailboat Blue dye inks (I used two brayers - it's important not to contaminate the ink pads so if you have one brayer then clean and dry it before using with the second ink pad). The ink will be darker on the creased lines. A great background, don't you think?

Using the Spellbinders Create a Flake die set, I made some snowflakes using card and leftover backing papers including the faux batik. I put Creative Expressions faux screw brads in two of the snowflakes and put a greeting from the Creative Expressions Christmas Borders set on the other.

The backing papers are from Polka Doodles Sundae of Seasons CD.

I assembled the card as per the Friday Sketch Challenge and added some faux stitching with a fineliner pen.

If you love the Vintage Inventor stamp set as much as I do then you can buy it from the designer herself here.

Hope you like the card.

Thanks for stopping by.

Julia

7 comments:

  1. HEHEHE I like this one even more I think, the full on fluffy hat cracks me up lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the hat, what a great idea
    luv ally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card and take on the sketch!

    Thanks for playing ay Friday Sketch Challenge this week.

    Happy Crafting
    Sam

    www.craftychickcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous card, love the colours.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps Challenge.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you changed the had, and the collor you used is very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card, love that image and colours, thanks for joining us at Friday Sketch Challenge this week.
    Hugs Debs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the colors and the embellishments! Great card!
    Thanks for joining us at Friday Sketch Challenge!
    Hugs
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete

Only positive comments please!