Monday, 21 May 2012

Grosgrain Rose

Hi Bloggers.

Today's card is rather a busy one. Wasn't quite sure where I was going with it - all I knew was that I wanted to use a frame, an antique dressform and a grosgrain ribbon rose.
I quite like the way it turned out.

For the background, I popped some milk card through the Grand Calibur with the Spellbinders Flower Delight Impressability. I inked it with Faded Jeans Distress Ink to make the design 'pop'. I then randomly stamped some scissors from the Creative Expressions Antique Dressforms Stamp Set using Cobalt Archival.

I cut 2 borders out of milk card using the Edgeabilities Classic Ric Rac for the edge and Classic Scallop for the insert. I threaded some Navy Silky Crush Ribbon through the inserts in the borders and added the borders to my background.

I cut a frame out of cobalt card using a Classic Rectangle large and a Classic Scalloped Rectangle Large. I also cut a corner from the Fleur de Lis Accents set which I glued to the top of the frame. I cut a Persian Motif out of milk card and inked through the die with Faded Jeans Distress Ink. I added this to my frame cutting away the overlap on the inside. I attached all this to the background using 3d foam pads. I stamped the image from the Antique Dressforms stamp set using Cobalt Archival and embossed with Cosmic Shimmer Clear Embossing Powder. I cut the image out leaving a slight border all round and added to the background on the inside of the frame using 3d foam pads.

I made a ribbon rose out of some Royal Blue/Ivory Grosgrain Ribbon. I cut the ribbon in half down the centre and used a piece the length of my craft sheet. Now, this ribbon does not like being cut in half and I was half-way through making my rose when the ribbon split i.e. frayed really badly, but, rather than throw it in the bin (I nearly did) I carried on pulling the frayed edge down on to the sticky tape and continued till the end. It worked! I was very happy that I hadn't thrown it away. I glued the rose to the corner of my card and added some 'leaves' made from the Damask Accents and Persian Accents. For the leaves made from the Persian Accents I just cut the 'arms' off the corner and used those. Incidentally, when you do this you are left with a piece that looks a bit like a bug that you could use on something else.

Finally, I cut another corner out of marine blue card using the Persian Accents and glued that to the top right-hand corner of my card. I also put dots of Cosmic Shimmer Pearlescent PVA in Summer Blue around the edges.

Hope you like the card. Imagine putting a photograph in the frame instead. This is an 8 x 8 card so you could easily use the layout for a scrapbook page. Hope I'm getting you thinking!

Thanks for stopping by.



  1. Hi Julia a card pretty full of different items making good use of many dies. It is lovely keep giving us ideas to use. Eagerly waitng your shows tomorrow night.


  2. Love the colours on the card Julia, and some fab ideas. Bx

  3. Hi Julia, what a lovely, pretty card...I like it sometimes when I start off not knowing where I'm going and get a nice surprise! Looking forward to your shows! Carole Z X

  4. Morning Julia, lovely card i do like the dress forms and sewing theme. colours work well too as i love blue anyway xx hazel

  5. Hi Julia,
    A lovely card in great colours. Love the border and the overall layout. Looking forward to your shows.
    Best wishes
    Caz x

  6. Morning Julia, a lovely card and the colours are fab. I bet it didn't take you long but me, that's another matter lol! Looking forward to the shows Christine H x

  7. Hi Julia...Yet another fab card! I love the layout of this card, the colours, and the way you've cut out the part of the circle die around the frame! Another great idea to copy to give more interest..Thanks once again for all your inspiration! Enjoy your day..:)..xx


Only positive comments please!