Thursday, 18 August 2011

Black & White


When one of the ladies who attends my monthly class suggested we start an ATC swap my heart sank. I am not a lover of ATCs and the idea of making 8 every month did not enthrall me. Our first theme was black and white.

I decided that I would approach them as ideas for bigger cards. I'm ok with that. So, here's my swap for this month. I've made all 8 the same so there's no arguments when they're given out!

I used the Vintage Inventor and the Plaid stamp sets from Creative Expressions. I stamped the man on to white shrink plastic. I love the detail on this image. I used Black Soot distress Ink to add shading and stamped the ribbon and the cogs with Jet Black Archival.

As I said, I wanted the ATC to be the idea for a bigger card. So, I expanded the design on to an A5 card.

For the card I stamped the man image on to white card and added the light bulb image which I stamped on to white shrink plastic. The 'flower' on the top left was made from the smaller tickets on the Creative Expressions Tickets stamp set. I used 10 tickets and one of their new screw brads in the centre.

The larger background is made by scrunching up a piece of white card, open it out and then brush a Black Soot distress ink pad over the peaks. Spritz with water. Wait a couple of minutes then press with an encaustic iron. Simple but really effective. Finally, I stamped the 'Inventor' sentiment, cut at an angle and attached with staples.

Hope you like the result.

Thanks for stopping by.


Sunday, 7 August 2011

Vintage Inventor


I've finally had my first play with the Vintage Inventor stamp set designed by Sam Poole. I must say that I love this stamp set. Here's the result of my first play -

I finally found some self-adhesive plumbers tape from a proper heating and plumbing shop and I was able to re-create a background like the one I've seen Sam do. Basically, take a piece of card and glue some die-cuts to it. Cover the whole lot with pieces of the plumbers tape - stagger them a bit. Use alcohol inks to colour the tape (I used Latte, Caramel, Oregano and Butterscotch). I also added some blending solution to make the result look a bit more interesting. Using a biro, I added some faux stitches where the tape pieces met. Finally, I stamped some cogs from the stamp sheet using Jet Black Archival.

The inventor was stamped onto Grungepaper using Jet Black Archival and is actually coloured with Antique Linen Distress Ink but this doesn't show up very well in the photo. The light bulb is stamped onto white shrink plastic using Stazon ink and then shrunk down using a heat gun.

The background is made using Antique Linen Distress ink and then a couple of small stamps from the sheet are stamped using the the Antique Linen and also Scattered Straw Distress Inks. I roughed the edges up a little with scissors and inked just the edges again with Scattered Straw.

The sentiment was stamped onto a small piece of card which was inked with Antique Linen and again roughed up with scissors and edged with Scattered Straw.

Hope you like the card.

Thanks for stopping by.