Sunday 3 July 2016

Pastel Gilding Polishes & Pixie Powders

Hi Bloggers.

I had a fab day at Domino Crafts yesterday. They have seriously twisted my arm and I have arranged to go back for another demo day just before Christmas on December 10th - mainly so I can see Steve's Christmas window display!

I have a couple of MDF pieces to share with you today that I made yesterday - I made a couple of errors on them and we can learn from our mistakes, right?

I started my covering an MDF Heart with 2 coats of Heather CS Metallic Gilding Polish (I dried the first coat with my heat tool before adding the second - you can wait a couple of minutes at hime for it to dry but in a demo situation, speed is the key!).

Then using a Smoothie, I 'inked' through the Triangular Mask with Powder Blue CS Metallic Gilding Polish.

At this point, I should have made sure it was 100% dry and dusted over with an Anti-Static Bag but I forgot.

I added the Flower Bed Mask and spread some CS Clear Texture Paste through. I removed the mask and added White Gold CS Brilliant Sparkle Embossing Powder. The embossing powder should only have stuck to the texture paste but when I tried to tap off the excess, the powder stuck to the gilded area too. As it happens, I don't think it looks terrible but it'n not what I was aiming for.

I heat set the embossing powder and the texture paste bubbled up underneath and made little crackling noises as it did.

I stamped the sentiment from the Mystic Garden Stamp Set from Hot off the Press using Jet Black Archival.

I added some Heather & Powder Blue Gilding Polishes to a piece of Coconut White Card. Once dry, I cut both dies from Sue Wilson's Heart Spray out of the Heather piece and some flowers out of the Powder Blue piece using Sue's Exquisiste Poppy Die Set and inked through the die with Jet Black Archival (you could also use Midnight Clouds Colour Cloud or Black Soot Distress Ink but I did not have those with me). I cut the centres of the flowers out of Black Card.

So, not bad but would have been better if I have used an Anti-Static Bag!

Here's another -

I used an MDF Oval. I painted it with CS White Gesso.  I dried it with my heat tool. I popped a little CS Warm White Chalk Paint onto my Craft Sheet. I added just a little Plum Twist CS Pixie Powder and mixed thoroughly. You lose the mica element when you add the Pixie Powder to the Chalk Paint as the Chalk is dominant. I used this to paint my Oval.

I popped a little Purple Violet Pixie Powder into a Mister Bottle filled with water and gave it a mix. I popped the All Stirred Up Mask on top of my Oval and then misted with my Purple Violet Mister. I dried it with my Heat Tool.

I stamped one of Lisa Horton's stamps from her Wild Flowers Stamp Set using Jet Black Achival.

I popped some CS Multi-Tex Powder onto my Craft Sheet added a little water and a little Candy Pink CS Pixie Powder and mixed thoroughly. When driving back home, I remembered that I should have also added a little CS Dries Clear Glue to the mix to make it flexible. It does say on the pot but thought I should really mention it here for the ladies who were at the demo yesterday. I spread the paste through a section of the Spirelli Mask. I dried it with my heat tool. Multi-Tex dries really well when heated and does not bubble like Texture Paste does when heated.

I hope you've found this information on what I should have done but didn't useful?

Just a reminder that there's 10% discount on the items I have in stock from Sue Wilson's shows this week. You can find them here. Offer applies till midnight tonight. Discount is applied at checkout. You can still watch Sue's shows on catchup on www.hochanda.com for up to 2 weeks after the shows were aired. There may also be some repeated at other times too.

Thanks for stopping by.

Julia.
www.juliawattscrafts.co.uk
Free card with all website orders (ask for one in the comments box at checkout).
Deal of the Day today (3rd July) - Spellbinders 5 x 7 Flourished Frame Die Set only £13.99!


38 comments:

  1. Hi Julia. Two beautiful mdf pieces, I like the effect of the embossing powder on the first one even if it wasn't what you expected. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Julia, two fabulous pieces love the first one even though not perfect I still like it.
    Nancyd xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Julia.
    Two lovely projects Thank you.
    Have fun and take care Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Julia, these are lovely creations, I love to watch you making these.

    Stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs, June Smith xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you hadn't pointed out the mistakes, I would have thought they were meant to be. The effect on both samples is lovely even though I'm not into MDF.
    Jan
    Northampton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia
    Two great MDF pieces.Love them.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the projects Julia
    Love June Horrocks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely mixed media pieces Julia x xhazel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julia
    Great pieces of MDF. Accidents can happen but it still looks good.
    Anne M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julia that heart is beautiful ! Its my favourite thing of yours this week ! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning Julia, These samples are stunning, and a very lovely 'error', I love these.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning Julia, These samples are stunning, and a very lovely 'error', I love these.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning Julia I love these MDF shapes. Mistakes are good they teach us a lot mind you if you hadn't have said I wouldn't have noticed. It must have been a brilliant demo day. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Julia what a pretty project and your design is wonderful.
    I love the dies you have used.

    Debs xxx
    {Debs Cards}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two lovely projects, wouldn't have noticed any mistakes as they look great.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Morning Julia, beautiful MDF projects and so pretty to, Im glad you had fun yesterday. hugs Shirleyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are very different for you, Julia, and look great.

    Anne (Northampton)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Morning Julia,
    Lovely projects, never used MDF myself but the pieces always look lovely when decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning pieces of artwork, love them especially the heart

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still haven't tried MDF Yours are fabulous especially the heart You have explained what not to do beautifully You've raised a question though as I'm a little confused (unless I haven't read it right) On your second piece you mentioned Gesso and also used chalk paint I thought you didn't need to Gesso MDF if you used chalk paint So when to Gesso and when to not Gesso that is the question?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's best to apply Gesso when using Chalk Paint, otherwise you usually need to add 2 or more coats of Chalk Paint which is a waste of lovely paint. You don't need to apply Gesso when using Shimmer Paint or Metallic Lustre Paints. If in doubt, Gesso!

      Delete
  21. Hi Julia
    Lovely MDF projects, I wouldn't have known you'd made mistakes if you hadn't said.
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Julia, VOW, what Fabulous MDF pieces you have made!!! I have never tried MDF but looking at your finish pieces and the step by step instructions, i might just try it out. Thank you for that
    Love Rosie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Julia,
    Fabulous pieces and brilliantly explained. Wish my mistakes looked as good as yours! LOL
    Love Janet X
    From Wakefield

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Julia. Lovely projects. Keep telling myself I do not need more flower dies but watching Sue's shows and now your lovely project the poppies are a must have. SueL x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning Julia,
    well flower if that was a "mistake" here is another way to look at it. You like going for layers and textures, varying textures don't you? Well this has all that and more with the texture paste, the glitter on the raised paste giving 3d dimension and then the glitter on top of the gilding polish giving it an extra texture to some of it but showing up the rest in it's true format and all in all a stunning piece of art work. I do not normally like the mdf stuff but i do think your heart is beautiful so thank you flower for pointing out your mistake and being normal, like the rest of us as i appreciate it.
    love and crafty hugs
    Norah (glenochil)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Julia,
    Beautiful creations, I really like the heart, the colours you have used are so pretty.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't see the errors you mentioned. Both pieces are fab. My fave is the heart due to Sue's Poppy Die.

    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I especially like the heart. It is AWESOME. Your creative "errors" make beautiful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aww how gorgeous ,loving your work errors ? no i cant see any Julia.
    Take Care
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mistake mistake or not it looks stunning, I love these two projects, thanks for sharing with us Julia.....luv Ursula xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad to see you practicing before the masterclass in August. My lesson yesterday when painting bottles, is make sure 1st layer is dry before putting on second - we all make mistakes when playing and wanting to get with a project because you want to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I forgot - NO MISTAKES ONLY HAPPY ACCIDENTS - THAT IS WHAT BUTTERFLIES ARE FOR!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Julia,
    Love the heart it may have been a happy accident but it looks stunning.
    Regards
    Dorianne

    ReplyDelete
  34. They both look beautiful julia x I can't see the accidents just lovely pieces of art x
    Theresa w x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful Julia
    Looks amazing may have been a happy accident but I love it.
    Hug's Lynda Brock. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Julia, love your MDF pieces, the heart is my favourite, and if you had not said anything I would have thought the mistake was intentional. Take care. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Julia. Love both pieces of MDF ,especially the heart. You are only human and if you hadn't said anything, we wouldn't have noticed. Take care.
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete

Only positive comments please!